Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me

TOPIC:

Jerky start 5 years 1 month ago #1

• robt
  • robt's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi All,
New owner and member here, just picked up my May 2017, 12,000 mile, 1.2TCE 130 auto Signature last Friday from Renault Eastbourne. Love it, very different to my 2009 Merc CLK, just couldn't keep bending down to get into it with my creaky bones!

2 things, most important 1, I find it impossible to pull away at a reasonable pace without the power coming in with a bang and jerking, even spinning away from the lights. OK if I let the brake off and allow the creep to take up the slack then apply power but I look like grandad driving then.

Second, the stop/start hardly ever comes on, my wife's Audi stops at even the slightest excuse, in fact she overrides it every time she gets in the car. My Kadjar just shows the A with a cross through it 95% of the time.

I live in Surrey so don't really want to trek all the way back to Eastbourne and I want to be sure of my ground before I approach my local dealer's service team.

Any advice please?

Thanks, Rob.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Jerky start 5 years 1 month ago #2

• Boyko
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 76
Hi and welcome to the site :)

What is the weather there? I know - a weird question. Reason I'm asking is I have (or had) similar thing when cold and wet outside. And I have a 1.2 manual - could feel the clutch kinda slipping now and then. 

Solved by adjusting my driving style - during the winter I apply more throttle but not too much for tires to slip, and when it's above 10 Celsius outside it doesn't matter how much throttle I apply - it won't make it.

Still don't know if it's an issue or not - I just learned to drive it the said way and it won't make it.

What I imagine is the throttle is so sensitive you either under power it or over power it. If you apply less throttle than needed it will jerk, if you apply more than needed you will slip the tires. Hard to find the very right amount of throttle to supply when pulling off. Takes a bit of getting used to (my bit was like 10k km..)

Could be the reason why the original owner returned it? They simply couldn't adjust.

Anyway - could be something totally different so better check with the dealer. I'm just sharing my 2 cents.

On the start stop - the 1.2 heats slowly and wants to heat up well before start stop starts to kick in. If weather is cold there then this may be the cause for both your issues.
One of the first Kadjars from Nov. 2015 - 1.2 TCe Manual ZEN - "old" R-Link (gen 1.1, soft 2.2) successfully updated to 3.3 with AA

Jerky start 5 years 1 month ago #3

• robt
  • robt's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi Boyko,

Thanks for your help. Today it's been 8 degrees and raining, I expected to be able to adjust quickly but I'm struggling. My wife's Audi has a similar problem with 1st gear (also an auto) but I can adjust to that one.
The stop/start issue, the engine seems to heat quickly and even after 25 mins it's still not stopping.
Rob

Jerky start 5 years 1 month ago #4

• duracel3634
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 247
I have a 1.2, funnily got it from Eastbourne as well. 
I find when cold you have to keep the Revs up a little more and perhaps slip the clutch a little bit, especially on a hill start.
I use the auto brake release and hill start assist a lot with no problem, my wife not so much, but then my van has HSA so I use it all day.
If the car is not used much the Auto Start/Stop does not work as the battery needs to charge up a bit.
If using the Heater/AC and temperature is still adjusting in the car that will be another factor.
I drove from Hastings to Brighton the other day and I was almost in Brighton before the Start/Stop starting working, the car had been sitting around for a few days though.
2016 Black 1.2 TCE Signature Nav S Manual Petrol Bose with Tech Pack and Drop Tow Bar
Running Rlink 2 Version: 9.0.34.611 Boot 5661- Self activated Android Auto - Map Version: mappackage_tt_feu_mid_2018_06
Renault Austral Estate1.2 E-Tech FHEV Iconic Esprit Alpine 5dr Auto 4C
The following user(s) said Thank You: Boyko

Jerky start 5 years 1 month ago #5

• Boyko
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 76
Well, I disabled start stop completely a while ago and can't quite remember exactly how it behaved, but for what I remember 25 min driving was not sufficient for it to start kicking on every red light - it would occasionally but not always. It really had a mind of its own - stopped when I didn't want it to and did not stop when I believed it should. So I disabled it via ddt4all. Hoping for longer battery life too now.
One of the first Kadjars from Nov. 2015 - 1.2 TCe Manual ZEN - "old" R-Link (gen 1.1, soft 2.2) successfully updated to 3.3 with AA

Jerky start 5 years 1 month ago #6

• turboted10
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 26
Had mine for 2.5 years and the S/S has worked about 6 times in that period. I just gave up..Been mentioned twice at service, "Hmmm, that's strange sir" and thats yer lot.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Time to create page: 0.129 seconds