Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

DAB radio losing signal and USB too! 2 years 10 months ago #1

• Dave VW
  • Dave VW's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi,
I have a 2017 Renault Kadjar with the R-Link system which I have recently updated.
The unit is constantly losing the radio signal and the message "signal lost" appears.
This is also happening with with music downloaded on my USB stick.

Has any one else had a similar problem or any advice?
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

DAB radio losing signal and USB too! 2 years 3 months ago #2

• allytan
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi Dave
I purchased a new 1.2 Signature auto 2018
After 1 year i started to loose DAB radio, when I went in for service they said there was nothing wrong with the system, & that it was just a poor radio signal in my area. However, I kept saying to them that I had a good signal when new, & after much talking they agreed to replace the aerial (not a fin type) and they found that there was a build up of corrosion in the aerial connection in the cabin. The aerial base was replaced, and low & behold DAB radio brilliant. However  just out of warrenty & it has now lost DAB signal again. I guess i will have to remove the  headlining at the boot door to gain acess to the aerial base, & sort out the corrosion. Dont know how the corrosion builds up, is it damp creeping in via the aerial base, or condensation within the cabin.
Has anyone removed the headlining? any advice would be good. Many thanks  Alan

DAB radio losing signal 2 years 3 months ago #3

• Yesyor1
  • Thank you received: 0
 I had the same symptoms; losing signal every few minutes.I am a retired electrical engineer, and thought the most likely reason was a bad connection or poor continuity.The obvious place for this would be below the Ariel.I unscrewed the actual Ariel and found that it is a sealed unit and so eventually resolved to remove the lining and get to the base.I also wanted to check the connections at the first plug/socket ( that I could see from the parts photos online, were about 500mm away)1. first removed the tailgate rubber seal.2. using a large flat screw driver, pop off the 3 push tabs in the roof lining.3. as I wanted the inspect the connector, I also unscrewed the righthand outer torx screw to allow the liner to come down a little more.4. having gained enough access to the liner, I disconnected the White and Brown Ariel connecters.5. these were clean and dry so I discounted them as the problem. Though I did remove the Yellow Connector (that feeds the Heated Rear windscreen), and let it hang down away from the Ariel wires. ( as a interference precaution, though probably not relevant)6. next I used a 22mm socket to remove the locknut below the Ariel.7. It is a bit of a wiggle to pull the Ariel out of the hole on top.8. next remove the 3 very small Philips screw in the base.9. now inside the Ariel housing , I found some condensation, and the printed circuit was showing signs of corrosion.10. I know for experience that electrical circuits don't fail intermittently (unless there is a heat problem), so was happy to just spay electrical cleaner on the pcb.11. now to the real problem:- The connection between the pcb and the outer Ariel base is done with a piece of sprung tinned copper strip.12. this had corrosive residue on it, so I again sprayed it and lightly rubbed it with a fine emery paper (240grain , 400 would be better to not completely remove the tin).13. I also bent it up a little more to give a better connection (especially when going over potholes etc.)14. rebuild in reverse order. ( the only hard bit is getting the locknut back on as it has a recess for the cable).      I have done a trip of 40 miles today and hey presto  - no signal loss.I have attached photos.  [attachment=1537]

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: by Yesyor1.

DAB radio losing signal 2 years 3 months ago #4

• allytan
  • Thank you received: 2
Many thanks my friend, perfectily explained & great photo's, i will now try to follow your directions.
I am still at a loss as to why condensation can build up in the aerial unit, and why you have to rely on a sprung copper
to make the connection, maybe this will be understandable as i disconnect everything.
I am suprised that other members had not fallen foul of this problem, however I now cannot wait to hear great DAB music
through my Bose system.
Once again many thanks for the great tips.
Regards
Alan

• Page:
  • Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Time to create page: 0.123 seconds