Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

tow bar/ball 3 years 8 months ago #1

• mikegemmell@hotmail.co.uk
  • mikegemmell@hotmail.co.uk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 4
I want to fit a non standard(non renault ) tow bar/ball for a 2 bike rack - I am offered a "standard electric's" connector or a specific connector for £100+ and a re-programme £70+!! Do I need to be so elaborate just for a bike rack and tail board (brakes rear lights etc.?
Signature
1500cc
Automatic
Diesel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

tow bar/ball 3 years 8 months ago #2

• Neiloky1
  • Thank you received: 6
If it covers any part of your rear lights or number plate then yes you will need a tail board although many people don’t bother.

If you mount your rack on the back of your car, make sure your rear number plate and lights are still legible, because you’ll be flouting the law if they’re not, even if you can see them through the wheel spokes. Obscure them and you’ll points on your licence, and a fine that can run into thousands of pounds, so don’t take the risk.

To get around this, you can strap a lightboard onto the bikes or the rack itself. This will have a number plate fitted and acts as an extension of your rear lights, brake lights, indicators and reversing lights. You can plug this into the electrical socket of a tow bar, if you have one, or get a connector installed in the back of the car, which shouldn’t cost the earth. Some towbar mounted racks will have a lightbar built into them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tuonov60

tow bar/ball 3 years 8 months ago #3

Many thanks for your reply.
My question really though is do I have to fit the £100+ Renault Specific Electrical Connector and spend £70+ for reprogramming? Or can I simply have fitted a "standard" electrical connector for my 2 bike rack?
Signature
1500cc
Automatic
Diesel

tow bar/ball 3 years 8 months ago #4

• darenh
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 154
Dedicated electrics are virtually plug and play quite easy to fit. Programming you could do yourself via ddt4all, but normally a dealer will enable the function. It’s only compatible with the new 13 pin socket as it uses a link in the trailer board plug to activate a signal that turns the reverse sensors off.

Non dedicated, should use a bypass unit so as not to load the OE lighting system. It basically works the same except it won’t turn the reverse sensors off. In this instance you will get a constant tone depending on if a bike or trailer is close by. Sometimes you may get a reverse sensor error, as the car thinks the sensors are covered up. The warning will go away and the constant noise whilst reversing (may be) is acceptable as you might reverse 1 time in a trip for a few seconds.

I have a detachable ball, can’t see the rest of it when it’s detached. The electrics tuck up when not in use. It’s also got non dedicated electrics and the odd occasion it gives me a continuous bleep I can live with.

tow bar/ball 3 years 8 months ago #5

• darenh
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 154
Dedicated electrics are virtually plug and play quite easy to fit. Programming you could do yourself via ddt4all, but normally a dealer will enable the function. It’s only compatible with the new 13 pin socket as it uses a link in the trailer board plug to activate a signal that turns the reverse sensors off.

Non dedicated, should use a bypass unit so as not to load the OE lighting system. It basically works the same except it won’t turn the reverse sensors off. In this instance you will get a constant tone depending on if a bike or trailer is close by. Sometimes you may get a reverse sensor error, as the car thinks the sensors are covered up. The warning will go away and the constant noise whilst reversing (may be) is acceptable as you might reverse 1 time in a trip for a few seconds.

I have a detachable ball, can’t see the rest of it when it’s detached. The electrics tuck up when not in use. It’s also got non dedicated electrics and the odd occasion it gives me a continuous bleep I can live with.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mikegemmell@hotmail.co.uk

tow bar/ball 3 years 8 months ago #6

Many thanks Darren - a great help!
Signature
1500cc
Automatic
Diesel

• Page:
  • Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Time to create page: 0.122 seconds