Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Stuck handbrake 5 years 5 months ago #1

• Lindser
  • Lindser's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
So I had an issue with my handbrake at a hill junction tonight. Was stuck for ages behind another car, waiting to turn right at a hill start junction, so had handbrake on. When ready to move, on acceleration, the handbrake wouldn’t come off and car was just stuck. Started to smell burning (was it burning rubber?). Had to end up switching off and restarting then it came ok, but car still stinks 2 hours  later. Anyone else had this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Stuck handbrake 5 years 5 months ago #2

• AlexP
  • Thank you received: 8
Is the gearbox automatic or manual? Mine is manual and never did something like that. Hand brake is released as soon as I press the throttle while depressing the clutch in 1st gear. The handbrake does not release without pressing the throttle even though the clutch is released and the car struggles to go.
In your case I understand that you hardly pressed the throttle. 

Stuck handbrake 5 years 5 months ago #3

• JohnBridge
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Not had that fortunately with any automatic handbrake. You can release the handbrake manually: press the brake pedal and push the handbrake switch down [the opposite direction to when you apply it] 

Stuck handbrake 5 years 5 months ago #4

• Lukiehughes
  • Thank you received: 3
You're not on your own! This happened to me a couple of weeks ago. I tried to pull off and the handbrake which normally releases wouldn't. I then flicked the handbrake button to get it to release and it still didn't work! I tried everything and it refused to go, much to the displeasure of those behind me. I did the same, switched the engine off and back on, it then release. Haven't had a problem since. It did concern me though! 

Stuck handbrake 5 years 5 months ago #5

• turboted10
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 26
Sounds like the clutch started to burn as it struggled against the handbrake. Should be ok as long as it doesn't happen too often.
I have developed to tactic when on the flat of manually releasing the handbrake as described when getting into the car, it just seems wrong to have to force it off by trying to drive away with it on which is what actually happens. Doesn't help in your case though as when hill starting the thing needs to be on. Weird things happen with automatic systems. If it's still under warranty I'd at least log it with the service shop to ensure there is a record if it continues. They would likely want it in and re-boot the system.

Last edit: by turboted10.

Stuck handbrake 5 years 4 months ago #6

• Thank you received: 8
Talked with the MOT (yes my car is now 3 years and it was time for its first MOT) technician today about the hand brake issue that some have experienced with the Kadjar. He then claimed the same issue is not unknown with VW cars either!

Last edit: by 1898.
  • Page:
  • Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Time to create page: 0.129 seconds