Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me

TOPIC:

Petrol or Diesel 5 years 2 weeks ago #1

• Nb
  • Nb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Sorry if this wrong area to ask. About to buy first car is over 20 years.
Will the 1.2 petrol engine handle long weekend motorway runs and the occasional run
From uk to south France. I have had diesels for past 20 plus years and am pretty clueless on modern petrol engines and their limitations.

Many thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Petrol or Diesel 5 years 2 weeks ago #2

• jean-renaud
  • Thank you received: 4
nb. I have had a Megane 1.2 petrol ( 130cv ) for the last 2 years and it has handled everything I’ve thrown at it, including journeys the length and breadth of France. I think if you try one, you won’t believe it’s a 1.2 - I was honestly thinking it was a 1.6 when I tried it! Have no fears about the strength of this engine. I tended to achieve 5.4 l/ 100km on non-motorway runs, and 5.7l/100km using péages.
Nouveau (2019) Kadjar Black Édition, TCe 160 EDC FAP, Flame Red ( despite the edition name ).

Last edit: by jean-renaud. Reason: Additional consumption info added.

Petrol or Diesel 5 years 2 weeks ago #3

• duracel3634
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 247
A Petrol Engine does not usually last as long as a Diesel Engine.
Petrol engine vehicles with high mileage don't have as good a resale value as Diesel either.
Petrol engines have a higher MPG
I buy petrol engines because I don't do a lot of mileage so buying a cheaper petrol vehicle makes sense rather than buying the more expensive Diesel equivalent.
There is no reason why a Petrol Kadjar can't do the journeys you describe but just look at the bigger picture described above. I'm guessing, not knowing where you are in the UK and which part of the south of France you will be going, you will be doing in the region of 750 - 1000 miles each way?
2016 Black 1.2 TCE Signature Nav S Manual Petrol Bose with Tech Pack and Drop Tow Bar
Running Rlink 2 Version: 9.0.34.611 Boot 5661- Self activated Android Auto - Map Version: mappackage_tt_feu_mid_2018_06
Renault Austral Estate1.2 E-Tech FHEV Iconic Esprit Alpine 5dr Auto 4C

Petrol or Diesel 5 years 2 weeks ago #4

• Nb
  • Nb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Thankyou for feedback. I'm a low mileage driver. Probably only 10 miles Monday to Friday but I like to go to France once every 3 months and will do 1500 round trip. The cost of petrol is not my number 1 concern...its reliability and the DPF issue with lots of town driving.

Petrol or Diesel 5 years 2 weeks ago #5

• terryp
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 19
I drive to Portugal through Spain each year and last year bought a 1.2 Auto Petrol. That run is probably the only long run the car does each year, the rest of the year it's running around town. The car dealt with the long journey each way with ease and returned just under 40 mpg.
I've no regrets about buying the petrol version.
2020 GT Line 1.3 Tce Nice shade of Blue

Petrol or Diesel 5 years 2 weeks ago #6

• gsa1967
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 23
if you do more than 20.000 km a year you should buy the diesel . otherwise go for petrol. i do 5000-7000 km a year so i bought the 1.2 petrol with the 130 hp. before i had a skoda octavia vrs 2.0 with 280hp. the petrol goes very good in the road. i was 130km/h 4 people and a cat, and foul trunk with 6th gear and 2800rpm.
the new engine of 1.3 turbo petrol with 140 and 160 hp is more powerful and better in mpg than the 1.2.
my choise would be the 1,3 petrol with 160hp.
then diesel now are hunted in EU and in some cities forbiten their circulation

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Time to create page: 0.121 seconds