Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Wind noise off Thule Wingbar roof bars in Kadjar with glass roof 4 years 11 months ago #1

• don
  • don's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 8
I've purchased Thule Aero WingBars for my Kadjar - they claim to be the most quiet roof bars on the market. However when fitted to my Kadjar which has a glass roof there's still a high pitched whistle off them at speeds around 65/70 mph, and over 70 mph it greats worse.

I've tried moving the front roof bar back another few inches but the wind noise is still audible.... its tolerable for a short drive, but I'm thinking with a roof-box fitted during a long drive in the summer holidays it may be rather annoying.

Has anybody else had issues like this... any ideas on how to fix it.

cheers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by don.

Wind noise off Thule Wingbar roof bars in Kadjar with glass roof 4 years 11 months ago #2

• AOne
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 251
I'm using the original Renault roof bars with a box, also branded Renault (both bought from the dealer). Made 30K+ km with them. Absolutely quiet with speeds up to 100 mph (haven't tried more with box on top).
What's specific with them is, the rear one is shorter and the bars themselves have rear (flat) and front (rounded) side (like a wing). These specifics are hard to notice at first look. Check if yours have such specifics. If mounted wrong, I'm sure there would be whistling ...
1.6 dCI, 2WD, Zen+ , Retractable Tow Bar.
RLink 2 - V9.0.34.610, Here Maps (2021/Q4) + TomTom POIs and SpeedCams (2021_06)
The following user(s) said Thank You: don

Wind noise off Thule Wingbar roof bars in Kadjar with glass roof 4 years 11 months ago #3

• don

I'm using the original Renault roof bars with a box, also branded Renault (both bought from the dealer). Made 30K+ km with them. Absolutely quiet with speeds up to 100 mph (haven't tried more with box on top).
What's specific with them is, the rear one is shorter and the bars themselves have rear (flat) and front (rounded) side (like a wing). These specifics are hard to notice at first look. Check if yours have such specifics. If mounted wrong, I'm sure there would be whistling ...

Ya I'll have to double check how I fitted them to ensure I did it correctly. Thanks

Wind noise off Thule Wingbar roof bars in Kadjar with glass roof 4 years 11 months ago #4

• turboted10
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 26
You have to expect some noise as the Kadjar is a quite car. Never had a car yet that liked having bars strapped to the roof., they all disrupt airflow which is what causes noise + increased fuel consumption. You are also saying the noise is without a box or any gear on the bars so it's irrelevant what it sounds like now, load them and try it and take them off when not in use, thats a general rule.

Last edit: by turboted10.

Wind noise off Thule Wingbar roof bars in Kadjar with glass roof 4 years 11 months ago #5

• Robertp
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 199
And that is whole sciencse... :cheer:
2016 White 1.6 dCi 4WD BOSE with Premium Techno Pack, Winter Pack, Panoramic glass roof & autodipp mirror and retractable towbar.
Added ambient illumination, few chrome trims,
Replaced R-Link2 V2.2 SW version 9. 0.34.611, enabled Android Auto and CarPlay (change USB slots)
Maps: Here 2022Q2

Wind noise off Thule Wingbar roof bars in Kadjar with glass roof 4 years 11 months ago #6

• don

You have to expect some noise as the Kadjar is a quite car. Never had a car yet that liked having bars strapped to the roof., they all disrupt airflow which is what causes noise + increased fuel consumption. You are also saying the noise is without a box or any gear on the bars so it's irrelevant what it sounds like now, load them and try it and take them off when not in use, thats a general rule.

Ya what you say is true, but at the same time I like to take the time to find the position where the wind noise is most quiet. I figure the quieter the bars are free of a load, the quieter they will be when there's a roof box on top as well.

So for the past few days I've experimented moving the front roof bar back a few inches and I've finally found a spot where it's quiet driving at 130 / 140kph with the sun blind closed. :)

• Page:
  • Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Time to create page: 0.137 seconds