Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me

TOPIC:

Adding Apple CarPlay to 2017 Renault Kadjar 3 years 8 months ago #1

• Cein
  • Cein's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi All,

Thanks for letting me join - proud new owner of a used 2017 Renault Kadjar since Saturday. 1.5 Diesel with the Signature spec and very happy with it, apart from one key aspect... a lack of Apple CarPlay.

It was listed on AutoTrader as having Apple CarPlay (something that was a major selling point for me and was even part of my AutoTrader search parameters). Unfortunately though, the listing was incorrect. My Kadjar was registered in March 2017 and CarPlay was apparently added as standard from April 2017, so it was a month short. The dealer had a disclaimer on the listing that essentially stated that some of the spec listed might not actually be the spec, which I didn't see unfortunately, so returning looks unlikely to be an option.

So I'm now eagerly looking to try and have Apple CarPlay added/fitted somehow, as it's a really important feature for me to have for my work and without it the car is not really fit for purpose unfortunately.

I've done a lot of research and found that it's not something Renault do or endorse, so if any anyone put me in touch with someone that has done it or would know how to do it, even through unofficial means, I would really appreciate it. It's a service I would happily pay for. I've attached photos of my interior for reference.

Thank you, I'm open to all solutions or suggestions.

Céin

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Adding Apple CarPlay to 2017 Renault Kadjar 3 years 8 months ago #2

• Karl
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 27
Hi, Cein. I think it would be helpful, if you posted the version No. of your R-link. Does it start with a 2, a 3 or a 7? You´ll find it under system information - software release. Depending on your version (I would guess it´s 2), it´s more or less easy to add Android Auto (I have done that myself). But that´s not your question ;-) You want Apple´s Car Play. It can be activated in the system in the same way as Android Auto. BUT it won´t work. As far as I understand, you need to replace the USB outlet to a more powerful one (so hardware changes, not just software). I have stumbled over descriptions how to do it on the net, but since I use Android, I haven´t dug too deep into it. My advice - start by searching the net and this forum for Apple Car Play - R-link2 Or you might find someone in the U.K., who will do it for you. Good luck!
1,2 TCe EDC Night&Day prod. Oct. 2016
R-link 2 Ver. 7.0.24.161 (upgraded from 2.x by dealer).
Self activated Android Auto
Here maps

Adding Apple CarPlay to 2017 Renault Kadjar 3 years 8 months ago #3

• Cein
  • Cein's Avatar Topic Author
Hi Karl, thanks for responding! The version number is 2.2.19.300. I've attached some pictures of the system information.

Yes, if only I was a Android user! That is useful to know though, thank you. If it's a case of having someone activate CarPlay within the system and replace the USB sockets, I would happily go ahead with that. But I did read on here that the R-Link system itself won't be powerful enough to power the USB sockets if they're replaced, have you seen anything about that? I've got in touch with companies that upgrade cars to be able to use Apple CarPlay, but it seems Renault is a particular challenge, so I'm hoping you wise Kadjar users might have some experience with it. It's a cruel irony that a large part of buying the car was to use Apple CarPlay (the advert actually stated it twice) and I may not even be able to add it if I want to. So It would be amazing to find that person who has achieved this upgrade or knows exactly what needs changing, if they're out there.

Thanks again!

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Adding Apple CarPlay to 2017 Renault Kadjar 3 years 8 months ago #4

• duracel3634
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 247
V2 has no possibility of AA or ACP.
In the first instance, you will need to upgrade to V3, an element of risk involved, and that will only give you access to AA. ACP is much more complicated due to power issues and I believe the USB port as well. I don't believe anyone here has achieved ACP on the older unit such as yours I'm afraid
2016 Black 1.2 TCE Signature Nav S Manual Petrol Bose with Tech Pack and Drop Tow Bar
Running Rlink 2 Version: 9.0.34.611 Boot 5661- Self activated Android Auto - Map Version: mappackage_tt_feu_mid_2018_06
Renault Austral Estate1.2 E-Tech FHEV Iconic Esprit Alpine 5dr Auto 4C
The following user(s) said Thank You: Karl

Adding Apple CarPlay to 2017 Renault Kadjar 3 years 8 months ago #5

• Robertp
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 199
So, today I did final check. New device with V 9.x software and a car 2016 year (original device was 1.1 and 2.2.19.300 firmware). CarPlay and AndroidAuto enabled on new device. CarPlay does not work (basically detect phone and try to connect, then failure).
i assume that proper USB port is also needed.
2016 White 1.6 dCi 4WD BOSE with Premium Techno Pack, Winter Pack, Panoramic glass roof & autodipp mirror and retractable towbar.
Added ambient illumination, few chrome trims,
Replaced R-Link2 V2.2 SW version 9. 0.34.611, enabled Android Auto and CarPlay (change USB slots)
Maps: Here 2022Q2
The following user(s) said Thank You: duracel3634

Adding Apple CarPlay to 2017 Renault Kadjar 2 years 11 months ago #6

• Barcaboys
Hi al, newbie here sorry to piggyback and old post.

I recently purchased a 2017 kadjar which my records show was made after April.

id like to have either CarPlay or android auto can the dealer activate this?
my software version starts with 7. Something.

thanks for any advice in advance

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Time to create page: 0.126 seconds