Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Electric Handbrake 5 years 6 months ago #1

• Jetflyer
  • Jetflyer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Anyone had any issues with the handbrake apparently not coming on?  My wife's is a '66 plate Bose SigNav Auto.  It started about 2 months ago, every so often the dash illuminates and sounds the world war 3 alarm telling her to stop the vehicle (usually when its sitting switched off in a car park!).

We've been in France the past few weeks on holiday and it did it to me (twice) on the Eurotunnel train.  Quite annoying as the only way to stop it was to start/stop the engine (this really annoys the train crew though as the DRL's make the train think there may be a fire.... that's what we were told anyway!).

Eventually I discovered that pushing/pulling the handbrake switch would eventually make it stop.  My local dealers all say they'll look at it but if they cant find a fault its £80 + VAT...quite annoying as I cant make it happen on demand and its a safety issue!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Electric Handbrake 5 years 6 months ago #2

• duracel3634
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 247
Are you regular visitor to the dealer as that is a bit naughty threatening a potential £80 charge, I have never been threatened with that even with my old car!
2016 Black 1.2 TCE Signature Nav S Manual Petrol Bose with Tech Pack and Drop Tow Bar
Running Rlink 2 Version: 9.0.34.611 Boot 5661- Self activated Android Auto - Map Version: mappackage_tt_feu_mid_2018_06
Renault Austral Estate1.2 E-Tech FHEV Iconic Esprit Alpine 5dr Auto 4C

Electric Handbrake 5 years 6 months ago #3

• Guzzilazz
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 18
Interesting... I had a message come up today... Got home, street was nearly full, wife was late, so I parked on the road (facing up hill) and crept up to a white van as close as I could.  Put the parking brake on, and got a "Check Hill start assist" warning with the red light in the parking brake switch flashing... SO I started up again, and moved the car back and forth a foot.  Stuck the foot brake on hard, and then PB on and it was all OK... Guess I just confused the brains?
Larry

Essex

2017 Ford Kuga Titanium 2.0 150bhp 2wd Ruby Red
ex 2017 Kadjar Dynamique S Nav Flame Red

Electric Handbrake 5 years 6 months ago #4

• AOne
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 251
Happens to me sometimes. I believe it's a wrong sensor reading. Also, thinking if this could be caused by dirt in the ABS rings?
1.6 dCI, 2WD, Zen+ , Retractable Tow Bar.
RLink 2 - V9.0.34.610, Here Maps (2021/Q4) + TomTom POIs and SpeedCams (2021_06)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jetflyer, Guzzilazz

Electric Handbrake 5 years 6 months ago #5

• Jetflyer
  • Jetflyer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Yeah I don't have many dealers that close to me...not uncommon with this lot though apparently

Electric Handbrake 5 years 6 months ago #6

• AlexP
  • Thank you received: 8
This happened to me in the winter. A lot of snow and ice was on the wheels. I restarted the car 2 times and I got the same. After warming the car driving 5 km and restarting the car it went off. Never happened again. 
The abs, servo, esp were not working. 

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jetflyer

Last edit: by AlexP.
  • Page:
  • Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Time to create page: 0.126 seconds