Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Swapping captur for Kadjar - your advice 4 years 4 months ago #1

• socialmailer
  • socialmailer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi,
I bought a captur at 13k mileage with 16 plate number but had several issues so the dealership has agreed to swap the car for another car of my choice within same value. I have decided on a Kadjar and they agree to it but with a 21k mileage and 66 plate number.

There are 2 other kadjars on their site with 15k and 16k mileage both 66 plate number but they have said they can only offer me that of 21k mileage.

Based on people's experience with captur and kadjar, am I making a right choice here or should I still go for a captur.

Just looking for general advice. I haven't driven much. My other car was a honda 2008 and have had it for just over a year.

I understand everyone here has experience with Kadjar and will appreciate some honest feedback and advice based on this and on general swapping car thing.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Swapping captur for Kadjar - your advice 4 years 4 months ago #2

• JohnBridge
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
The Kadjar is a different class of car to the Captur, are you sure you want a bigger car? With the Kadjar you'd have more comfortable long journeys, and plenty of room in the back for passengers (and the boot for luggage), but do you need those things? The Captur would be easier to drive in town or down narrow country-lanes and be easier to park. I don't think 21K miles is excessive for a car around 3 years old, if you are really concerned you could factor in how many miles you drive and how long you are thinking of owning it - would that take you to a major mechanical service - like a cam-belt-change? (I don't know off-hand when that is) You haven't mentioned which engine the cars have. We've found that if the 0-62 mph acceleration takes longer than about 12 seconds then joining a fast-moving dual-carriageway or motorway is made more difficult. The "Honest John" website will give mpg figures and their Reviews have the acceleration figures in the "Specification" section. Do you want Apple-Car-Play or Android Auto? To my knowledge the 66 plate Kadjar won't have that. There are a lot of features that only you know whether you want them or not: Sat Nav, cruise-control, parking-sensors (handy for bigger cars) etc. By experience we've discovered 2 things: (1) check the windscreen very carefully for scratches etc - we only discovered one of our cars had a bad chip a couple of weeks into ownership - and couldn't prove it hadn't happened after we bought the car (2) on a test-drive, we always now try a low-speed section (like town traffic) as we once had a car that was difficult to drive smoothly - 1st gear was too low, 2nd was too high. Good luck with your choice, I'd be tempted to take someone else along for their opinion too, they may notice good or bad points that you haven't. None of the cars we've bought have been perfect, though the things we liked about them have always easily exceeded what we didn't...

Re:Swapping captur for Kadjar - your advice 4 years 4 months ago #3

• socialmailer

The Kadjar is a different class of car to the Captur, are you sure you want a bigger car? With the Kadjar you'd have more comfortable long journeys, and plenty of room in the back for passengers (and the boot for luggage), but do you need those things? The Captur would be easier to drive in town or down narrow country-lanes and be easier to park. I don't think 21K miles is excessive for a car around 3 years old, if you are really concerned you could factor in how many miles you drive and how long you are thinking of owning it - would that take you to a major mechanical service - like a cam-belt-change? (I don't know off-hand when that is) You haven't mentioned which engine the cars have. We've found that if the 0-62 mph acceleration takes longer than about 12 seconds then joining a fast-moving dual-carriageway or motorway is made more difficult. The "Honest John" website will give mpg figures and their Reviews have the acceleration figures in the "Specification" section. Do you want Apple-Car-Play or Android Auto? To my knowledge the 66 plate Kadjar won't have that. There are a lot of features that only you know whether you want them or not: Sat Nav, cruise-control, parking-sensors (handy for bigger cars) etc. By experience we've discovered 2 things: (1) check the windscreen very carefully for scratches etc - we only discovered one of our cars had a bad chip a couple of weeks into ownership - and couldn't prove it hadn't happened after we bought the car (2) on a test-drive, we always now try a low-speed section (like town traffic) as we once had a car that was difficult to drive smoothly - 1st gear was too low, 2nd was too high. Good luck with your choice, I'd be tempted to take someone else along for their opinion too, they may notice good or bad points that you haven't. None of the cars we've bought have been perfect, though the things we liked about them have always easily exceeded what we didn't...

Thanks John.
They are both 1.5 dCi dynamyque nav and both automatic. The Kadjar is 110bhp while the captu is 90bhp. Both are diesel euro6.
I wouldn't necessarily mind a bigger car due to growing family. I'm still on mat leave so only moving around locally for nursery and shopping trips but my work place is 16 miles going and same or so back and I transit during peak hours when I resume February.

A quick check on internet is showing cambelt replacement after 5 yrs or 74,5k miles. But apart from that, would there be any potential major changes to expect?

Thinking of owning it for at least 4 years hopefully but time will tell.

One other thing I learnt about was DPF diesel particulate filter just recently and that of the captur had an issue that meant there was a split pipe (gave the anti pollution service warning). The dealership said it was because it was being used for short trips and that diesel cars are meant for long trips. Well that's new to me really. Does it mean I can't even use diesel cars for nursery runs and short distances? It couldn't have happened from my driving as I had barely driven the car for up to 200 miles when that issue came up but they fixed it though.

Good points from you that I need to check when test driving. To be honest I didn't plan to test drive as the dealership is 100 miles away from us and plan has been for them to deliver the car to us. Infact the captur too was delivered without test drive. So I will make it a point of duty to check the windscreen and all aspects, slow traffic and not just motorway kind of test drives.

Re:Swapping captur for Kadjar - your advice 4 years 4 months ago #4

• JohnBridge
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
If I've looked-up the models correctly on the Honest John Reviews, then the Captur 90 diesel auto has a 0-62 mph time of 13.8 seconds, the Kadjar 110 diesel auto is 11.7 seconds, I know which I'd prefer! We started looking for our car in 2017, and I have a January 2017 Kadjar catalogue, according to that the Dymanique Nav has the "Automatic high-low beam" - we've that on ours and it makes night-driving so much easier! It works when you are approaching a car in front and on dual carriageways too. It also has 17 inch rims? Most people on here say that's good as it makes for a more comfortable ride than the 19 inch ones
We've not got a diesel Kadjar, but had a diesel Vauxhall Zafira Tourer. We only did about 4,000 miles a year, which is low for a diesel, and lots of journeys of just a couple of miles. A couple of times a year the particle-filter warning light would come on and a "Keep Driving" sign, so we'd drive maybe 8 miles, the filter would clean itself and the warning would go off. I don't know if the Renault uses the same procedure (there must be people on here who know!) I can't see your 200 miles splitting a pipe?
We use our Kadjar to carry the grandchildren in the back, they are now in the largest type of kiddie seat, plenty of room! The Isofix mounts on the rear seats have plastic covers (which we keep permanently removed and in the glove compartment) it's very easy to connect-up to the isofix. When the kids were babies, we used a car-seat that had the base attached to the car, and the baby-carrier that sat on top of it - really easy to move the baby in and out with that type. Hope all goes well whatever you choose!

Re:Swapping captur for Kadjar - your advice 4 years 4 months ago #5

• socialmailer
I really appreciate your comments John. I'll see how the test drive goes and factor all other things into consideration as a whole.

• Page:
  • Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Time to create page: 0.130 seconds