• Page:

TOPIC:

Isolated engine 4 years 3 weeks ago #1

• tynesider
  • tynesider's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 19
Being well over 70 we are 'self isolating' at home for the past 3 weeks BUT so is the car parked on the drive :( , not being a mechanic how often
would you go out and just give the engine a short run even in neutral ?
2019 Silver 1.3 TCe Dynamic turbo petrol, manual,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Isolated engine 4 years 3 weeks ago #2

• gsa1967
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 23
once a week is ok i think

Isolated engine 4 years 3 weeks ago #3

• squilly
  • Thank you received: 10
From the Honest John column in the telegraph, 3rd April.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/advice/honest-john-can-keep-car-top-condition-coronavirus-lockdown/

Q: Am I the only person to be thinking ‘What about my car during the next months’ while I will not be driving due to the restrictions that have been enforced? I want to make sure my two-year-old Volkswagen Polo remains in top condition for when restrictions are lifted. There will be millions of people in the same situation and without sound advice when we come back to use our cars there will be lots of flat batteries and tyres. Can you help? DT

A: At the moment it's "only" another three weeks of lockdown and cars should be fine for that period of time, although given the nature of the virus spread it's prudent to assume that restrictions may continue for longer. Although non-essential car use is discouraged, you can still drive to get food because, once inside, you are isolated from other people in accordance with guidelines.
Advertisement

However, that won't be sufficient to give your car the 20-mile run every two weeks that would benefit it most. But if restrictions are eased you should try to do that. It's not a good idea to leave your car idling to warm up, however, as that can do more harm than good. The sump oil can be diluted by fuel, while exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) valves and exhaust filters may become clogged.

So if you're leaving your car standing for at least three weeks, overpressure the tyres by 15 PSI to prevent 'flat-spotting' (but remember to adjust the pressures to recommended once things are back to normal).

It is worth switching off fully the interior lighting to reduce the possibility of draining the battery. The ideal solution is a battery conditioning float charger to maintain the battery at optimal charge; you can order these online from Amazon and other suppliers. Obviously, for these to work you will need a mains electricity supply.

As you identified, batteries and tyres are most affected by a lengthy lay-off, but it is also a good idea to leave the handbrake off with the gearbox in first (or 'Park' in an automatic) to prevent the car rolling away.
2016 1.5 dCi Signature Nav 5d EDC in Flame Red
Running Rlink 2 Version: 7.0.24.161 Boot 5615
First registered 06/2016

• Page:
  • Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Time to create page: 0.131 seconds