Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me

TOPIC:

Grinding noise some seconds after starting. 3 years 4 months ago #1

• AOne
  • AOne's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 251
Two days ago and today too, the engine made some grinding noise on start up for 5-10 seconds. On second start, there's nothing. My guess is it's the starter and its gear not fully retracting from the flywheel. Anybody with the same experience? The car is always on the streets and these days it snowed and rained heavily. I'm also considering the car battery. Maybe if it's going bad already and is too weak, it has no power to pull back the gear (if that's the way it works and is not spring actuated, which sounds more logical as I type this...). Anyway, is anybody aware what the battery for 1.6dci/130hp should be? Probably AGM 70Ah / 760A?
1.6 dCI, 2WD, Zen+ , Retractable Tow Bar.
RLink 2 - V9.0.34.610, Here Maps (2021/Q4) + TomTom POIs and SpeedCams (2021_06)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Grinding noise some seconds after starting. 3 years 4 months ago #2

• fixer
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 27
Yes sounds like starter gear sticking, some can go on for years with this noise. It’s normally wear and tear. The sooner you replace though or at least get it checked, the better. The battery is not an AGM as I first thought, they do an extra flooded battery. Which doesn’t require coding. Ten minute job to change just keep keycards and fobs 5 m away from the car. Mine was about 115 from memory with my Halfords trade card
The following user(s) said Thank You: AOne

Grinding noise some seconds after starting. 3 years 4 months ago #3

• AOne
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Yes sounds like starter gear sticking, some can go on for years with this noise. It’s normally wear and tear. The sooner you replace though or at least get it checked, the better. The battery is not an AGM as I first thought, they do an extra flooded battery. Which doesn’t require coding. Ten minute job to change just keep keycards and fobs 5 m away from the car. Mine was about 115 from memory with my Halfords trade card

Thanks a lot. Had multiple starts from this morning till now and never happened again. Will see tomorrow morning. Definitely sounds like the starters gear. In the morning I started with the hood open to be able to quickly put my head under it and sounds somewhere from the left side. I guess it's just under the alternator but can't see it directly.
Unfortunately I'm stuck in Austria because of the lockdowns/PCR tests/quarantine on reentry an will be able to see my dealer in Bulgaria next year, after February. The international warranty has expired as I have 3 years (from manufacturer) + 2 years (from dealer). This means I'll either have to wait or fix in an unauthorized dealer if it worsens (the local dealer is killing me with prices - the last time he offered me oil and filters change for 650 euros which costs less than 200 in my country).
The battery is EFB 70Ah 720A and is approximately the same price here. It's good to know it's only "plug and play". Will wait and see :) Btw, my colleague, with whom we both our Kadjars at the same time said he had the same experience recently, but didn't pay attention to it (he's the kind of person that only drives and adds fuel :D ).
RLink 2 - V9.0.34.610, Here Maps (2021/Q4) + TomTom POIs and SpeedCams (2021_06)
The following user(s) said Thank You: fixer

Last edit: by AOne.

Grinding noise some seconds after starting. 3 years 4 months ago #4

• AOne
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I'm about to to exclude the starter. The engine starts as usual and the sound begins at least 2-3 seconds after the engine is already running. For this time the starter's gear should've retracted 200 times.

Grinding noise some seconds after starting. 3 years 4 months ago #5

• Robertp
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 199
How much for battery? I have to replace mine in February... luckily Kadjadr decided to wait in home garage on worm and dry... I paid 150 with discounts and yes, it is 70Ah, 760A, AGM... at part store told me that official dealer does not offer AGM battery, price is 220, I could get it for 200 at my dealer.
What miilage do you have?
2016 White 1.6 dCi 4WD BOSE with Premium Techno Pack, Winter Pack, Panoramic glass roof & autodipp mirror and retractable towbar.
Added ambient illumination, few chrome trims,
Replaced R-Link2 V2.2 SW version 9. 0.34.611, enabled Android Auto and CarPlay (change USB slots)
Maps: Here 2022Q2

Last edit: by Robertp.

Re:Grinding noise some seconds after starting. 3 years 4 months ago #6

• AOne
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I've got 90K km on the counter (thank to the Corona, otherwise would be 130K+). The one in the car is EFB Exide 70/720, but as far as I know it's not much different the AGM. I'm looking for it in Amazon.de an they are something like 115 euro.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Last edit: by AOne.
  • Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Time to create page: 0.120 seconds