Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Possible Catalytic Converter Problem 1 year 1 month ago #7

• CHAZA123
  • Thank you received: 5
Morning 
please note I am not a mechanic but have an engineering background and anything I post is based on personal experience and or internet research and is not meant to be cheeky or condescending.
as your car is petrol it will have a GPF ( gasoline particulate filter ) it does the same job as a DPF on a diesel in that it catches dodgy exhaust particles. My understanding is that GPF.S clean themselves on the overrun I.e. when decelerating.
most of the stuff on the Internet suggests around what you’ve already been told but in more detail as follows 
Take the car for a good steady run at motorway or dual carriageway speeds ( no need to over rev etc ) for approx 20/30 mins then when everything up to temperature and safe to do so decelerate quickly then speed up decelerate several times apparently when you decelerate the engine takes in excess air hence excess oxygen which helps the filter burn offf the build up of soot in the filter 
This apparently happens during normal driving so if you only do short journeys and the car doesn’t get properly warmed up it might cause the problem 
other places have also stated that a good tank of premium fuel every now and then helps 
if you need the sensor done i would suggest you ask Renault for a goodwill contribution based on the fact you’re car is relatively new 
good luck 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Possible Catalytic Converter Problem 1 year 1 month ago #8

• PatWar
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 55
My question is probably 'off topic', but your point about occasionally using Premium petrol interests me. Since the introduction of E10 (con job!) my mpg has reduced by 5-7 miles and I have toyed with the idea of adding E5 Super to the E10. Can I add the E5 to the E10 or must I wait 'til tank is empty? Apologies for my ignorance.
formerly 2017 Dynamique S Nav 1.2 TCE in Cosmos Blue, RLink 3.3.16.981
now 2020 Captur S-Edition TCE130 manual in Desert Orange with Black Roof

Possible Catalytic Converter Problem 1 year 1 month ago #9

• CHAZA123
Hi 

with regards to using premium fuel every now and then this was based on internet research ( you tube videos) which suggest using good quality fuel ( branded stuff not supermarket) every now and then with more detergent additives can help the engine run cleaner . I don’t know how true this is .
The following user(s) said Thank You: PatWar

Possible Catalytic Converter Problem 1 year 4 weeks ago #10

• CHAZA123
Afternoon 
I just wondered if you got your original problem sorted out and how I.e. did you have to go toRenault for a new sensor or did something else work

• Page:
  • Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Time to create page: 0.154 seconds