Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

CarPlay - Upgrading Current System vs Aftermarket Fitting 2 years 10 months ago #1

• Rowlad
  • Rowlad's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi all,

So after - a lot - of searching online and especially these forums, about how to upgrade my MY17 Kadjar to utilise CarPlay, it seems I'm down to 2 options:

a) Find a second hand head unit FW V7/V9, ask nicely for a dealer to code it (if they even will...!), find a second hand USB power source to enable it...

b) Fit an aftermarket head unit and screen - Pioneer, Kenwood etc - which already has CarPlay capabilities.

Are these my only options now? I really don't want the car to end up looking like a 17yo's Vauxhall Corsa with a poorly fitted aftermarket kit, so would like to avoid that as much as possible...

Cheers all

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

CarPlay - Upgrading Current System vs Aftermarket Fitting 2 years 10 months ago #2

• darenh
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 154
Probably neither are an option.
Adding an aftermarket head unit will loose the car functionality controlled through the Rlink2.

Buying a second hand unit, the Rlink2 will be coded and locked to the original car as a anti theft precaution, and can only be turned off in that car.

Apparently this can be done in ddt4all, but looking at the settings ddt4all says once set it can’t be in set.
The theory is to unattached it from that vehicle by removing the vin settings, Put it in an engineering mode, it will then be able to be transferred to the new vehicle which the settings and new vin can be set.

the alternative is a brand new Rlink2, comes ready to set up, dealer fitted is around £1200, then you still have to code it for car play and add USB ports.

CarPlay - Upgrading Current System vs Aftermarket Fitting 2 years 10 months ago #3

• Rowlad
  • Rowlad's Avatar Topic Author
Thanks Daren, OK makes sense.

So that’s something I can speak to a dealer about; will THEY code it for CarPlay and upgrade the USB or are those things I’d need to do myself?

So far comms with dealers and Renault online have been fractious at best - hardline ‘you cannot put carplay in this vehicle’ and no offer of any suggestions 

CarPlay - Upgrading Current System vs Aftermarket Fitting 2 years 10 months ago #4

• Trak-X
  • Thank you received: 8
It really depends of the country you are in. For example, in my country, we have at least 2 persons that can install v9 units (brand new) and pair them with the car. Also, when installing, they ask if you need the usb as well. I know because i did see this happening.
1.6 dCi - 4WD - Brown (2016)

RLink 2 - V3.3.16.961
Here Maps (Q2/2019) / TomTom POIs / SpeedCams (06.2019)

CarPlay - Upgrading Current System vs Aftermarket Fitting 2 years 10 months ago #5

• Davila
Where are you from and do you know someone in Switzerland that can change my radio

CarPlay - Upgrading Current System vs Aftermarket Fitting 2 years 10 months ago #6

• darenh
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 154
It’s a good question, I’d rather think the dealers would replace like for like as in the USB, they go by a bill of materials that’s fitted to the car.  It depends what’s available, current replacement compatibility etc.
As for the headunit, a brand new one would come loaded with the latest software so will just need coding to the car.
As for activating the facilities, again they go by what’s in the car so mirroring would not be automatically set up, you would have to find some friendly dealer unfortunately.

• Page:
  • Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Time to create page: 0.127 seconds