Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me
This Category is specifically for the engine 1.2 TCE as there seems to be a suggestion that there may be a floor with the design.

Boyko has made the suggestion that there is a more dedicated thread for all things relating to this Engine, so here it is starting with the email he sent me.

TOPIC:

Re:1.2 TCE engine noise 4 years 7 months ago #13

• Boyko
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 76

By the way, what happened with the oil consumption? Have you mentioned it, so they could have a closer look when changing the cam chain?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Yep, mentioned it when insisting that they use ELF oil and not the other brand they normally use (since they are the importer). Their position remains unchanged - claiming, if I recall correctly, that oil consumption below 300ml per 1000km is considered normal by the manufacturer. Mine burns about 100-150ml, so it's "normal".
One of the first Kadjars from Nov. 2015 - 1.2 TCe Manual ZEN - "old" R-Link (gen 1.1, soft 2.2) successfully updated to 3.3 with AA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Re:1.2 TCE engine noise 4 years 7 months ago #14

• AOne
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 251
Interesting. Will wait and see. By the way, I remind them each and every time to use ELF and not Eneos ;)

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
1.6 dCI, 2WD, Zen+ , Retractable Tow Bar.
RLink 2 - V9.0.34.610, Here Maps (2021/Q4) + TomTom POIs and SpeedCams (2021_06)

Re:Re:1.2 TCE engine noise 4 years 7 months ago #15

• Boyko
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Car is now in for chain replacement, supposed to be ready by Friday.
One of the first Kadjars from Nov. 2015 - 1.2 TCe Manual ZEN - "old" R-Link (gen 1.1, soft 2.2) successfully updated to 3.3 with AA

Re:Re:1.2 TCE engine noise 4 years 6 months ago #16

• Boyko
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Car is now in for chain replacement, supposed to be ready by Friday.

Car is back on the road, I was told that the chain tensioner is to blame for the issue - they replaced the whole set.

I was also told that they updated / reprogrammed the ECU where the new software should help with the oil consumption - this is now an acknowledged issue and I'm supposed to monitor the oil level strictly for the next 5k km or so in order to tell whether there is any consumption and how much.

For what I noticed during the 100km I drove so far after picking up the car - the metallic engine noise is definitely gone, so the main issue it went in for is fixed.

There seem to be some other improvements such as reduced turbo noise - I think it was way noisier before. Also, the arrow indicator to shift up and down behaves differently now, it basically allows to stay longer on a gear - on 2nd I can go up to 3k rpm before it indicates I should shift up - I assume this is how the new software works. And then the fuel economy *seems* better but I guess its too early to judge on this. But it showed 6.1 liters / 100km and I've never seen it that low for 4 years of driving so far.

So this is it from me for time being - I'm looking forward to some winter driving soon :)

Cheers,

1.2 TCE engine noise 4 years 6 months ago #17

• gsa1967
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 23
very good news!

1.2 TCE engine noise 2 years 8 months ago #18

• swansonsuk
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi all,

So I had been monitoring this thread for a little while as I had suspected that the rattle in my 1.2 TCE engine was a timing chain issue. Ever since I bought this with only 8500 miles on the clock it had made this noise and I put it down to this being a small engine with loud tappet/fuel injector noise.

It was only when my neighbour a few months back bought a similar model Kadjar with the 1.2 TCE engine that my alarm bell started ringing. Over the past few months, the rattling was getting more pronounced while pulling away from lights or on the motorway in the lower gears so I decided to investigate and came across quite a few mentions of timing chain/timing chain tensioner and decided to contact my dealer regarding the problem. They would not entertain any check for me to see if this was the issue as my extended 5 year warranty has now run out so I then contacted Renault directly.

Renault approved for the car to have a £169 diagnostic done at their cost to check over the engine to which it was confirmed that a full replacement of the chain would need to be carried out at a cost of £1970!  What I need to clarify is that the car has only done 19,700 miles, fully serviced every year with interterm oil changes and maintenance so I started to question what the expected lifetime would be for this part and should this be failing at such low mileage with light use. A short few days later I received an email from Arnold Clark to confirm a booking to have the entire timing system replaced free of charge.

I am obviously delighted however concerned due to not having to even put a fight!

Cheers
The following user(s) said Thank You: AOne, Pavlovic

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Time to create page: 0.133 seconds